Assistant ControllerThis position has been filled.
- Job ID: BBBH2883
- Location: Central America & The Caribbean
- Commodity: Nickel
- Date Posted: 04 April 2018
- Closing Date: 03 June 2018
- Position Filled: 04 April 2018
Date: October, 2017
Approved by: Chief Operating Officer, Moa Nickel and Chief Financial Officer, Moa Nickel
Controller - Moa Nickel, S.A.
- Position Description
This position is to be occupied by a Certified Professional Accountant (CPA). As the sole expatriate role in the Moa Nickel finance team, the position plays a key role in supporting the Sherritt corporate and joint venture requirements for public reporting and financing planning. The position also plays a leadership role in the implementation of major finance projects such as ERP, planning and reporting systems development. The incumbent is expected to liaise with various external auditors and support operational initiatives.
The Assistant Controller reports directly to the Controller, Moa Nickel (Cuban), and indirectly to the Chief Operating Officer, Moa Nickel and the Chief Financial Officer, Moa Nickel S.A.
The incumbent would work closely with the Moa Nickel Controller on the following:
- Operate as a primary point of contact with the Fort Site finance team to support Sherritt corporate and joint venture initiatives.
- Play a leadership role for the Moa site in implementation of major projects, such as ERP system and reporting and planning system development.
- Liaise with external auditors (Deloitte, Shareholder, and Cuban government).
- Provide management with timely and accurate financial information, reports and economic analyses which comply will all pertinent standards and regulations.
- Ensure that systems and procedures exist for the accurate and efficient processing, collection and reporting of financial information for all business segments in accordance with applicable International and Cuban regulations.
- Maintain effective framework of internal controls for the safeguarding of cash and other assets and to support the appropriate approval and allocation of financial resources.
- Take a lead support role in Moa Nickel on technical accounting issues and projects, and works closely with both the Moa Nickel Controller and the Fort Site Controller, regarding joint venture consolidation in compliance with IFRS.
- Ensure high- level performance, technical competence and healthy succession by carefully selecting, training, developing, motivating and supporting subordinates.
- Support the budgeting, forecasting and capital allocation processes.
- Support initiatives to secure and maintain external sources of financing.
- Keep current on new developments in the accounting (IFRS) and data processing fields to identify and implement new concepts, which will improve efficiency.
- Actively develop their knowledge and understanding of the business.
- Receives general guidance from senior management in the conduct of the job.
- Key member responsibility in supporting the Finance department of approximately 20 people.
- CPA designation
- A minimum of 5 years post designation experience.
- Thorough knowledge of International financial management and accounting techniques, including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Extensive knowledge of CPA handbook (or equivalent), and general knowledge of the Ontario Securities Commission financial disclosure requirements and the ability to interpret and apply these pronouncements.
- Experience in managing multiple and competing priorities in a work-intensive environment.
- Superior inter-personal skills, team building skills, computer skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Fluency in Spanish is a significant asset and preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and safety experience.
- Ability to meet challenging reporting deadlines.
- Extensive knowledge of internal financial controls and the ability to apply these controls to varied business processes.
- Leadership skills including the ability to direct the Accounting function including staffing, directing and planning activities.
- Ability to coordinate financial information in all businesses of the Corporation.
- Ability to develop, mentor and motivate staff.
- Good communication skills and ability to interact at all levels in the organization.
- Working Environment
- Works in an office environment.
- Challenging reporting environment related to joint venture structure and the nature of the operation.
- Rotational Assignment
- Assignments are single status, based on availability of accommodations and limited amenities, infrastructure and services for families.
- The incumbent must be considerate of other cultural and social customs.