Distributed Control System (DCS) SuperintendentThis position has been filled.
- Job ID: BBBH2615
- Location: Africa
- Commodity: Nickel
- Date Posted: 14 March 2018
- Closing Date: 13 May 2018
- Position Filled: 14 March 2018
Ambatovy, a Sherritt International Nickel & Cobalt operation in Madagascar, is currently searching for an experienced DCS Superintendent to manage a team of Control Systems Specialists, to drive continuous improvement in control strategies, process automation and controller performance. Work to be performed within a structured methodology to contribute to the safe and fully reliable operation of the specific facility aligning with rest of the operation. Mentor and manage the training of junior Control System Specialists.
Globe 24-7 in partnership with Ambatovy is working together to source experienced and qualified talent for their existing world class lateritic nickel processing facilities and mining operation in Madagascar. Ambatovy is committed to create lasting prosperity for all stakeholders and contribute significantly to sustainable development in Madagascar.
The DCS Superintendent is required to:
- Manage the execution of proposed Distributed Control System (DCS) modifications in conjunction with the instrumentation and electrical contractors
- Manage the monitoring of PID controller performance and safety interlocks plant wide and drive a program of continuous improvement
- Provide input to control strategies for alterations and additions to plant processes, participate in commissioning and optimization of control processes
- Manage the development and implementation standard operating procedures required for safe operation of the DCS
- Ensure work is carried out safely and efficiently in a competent manner and that they adhere to the Permit to Work System and Management of Change System
- Manage the operation and maintenance of the DCS infrastructure, including all hardware, software and fibre optic communication, resulting in 100% reliability 24 hours a day / 7 day a week / 52 week a year
- Manage the operation and maintenance of Ambatovy refinery PIMS, including all hardware, software and communication, resulting in >99% reliability
- Manage the temporary bypass of Instruments, Controllers and Electrics (ICE) to provide a safe working environment
- Manage the optimisation of automatic control action on process operation
- Bachelor's degree in electrical, chemical or instrumentation engineering with major in process control.
- Higher university degree in process control is desirable
- Essential: minimum of 15 years' control engineering related experience in a heavy industry setting within metals, pulp & paper, power house, petrochemical, refinery or mineral processing plants.
- Expert understanding of distributed control systems, background with Siemens PCS7 / Step 7 is preferred
- Skilled at PID control loop design, tuning and performance assessment. Experience with control loop tuning applications
- Experience working with industrial network protocols such as Profibus DP and Modbus
- Experience in optimization of data collection and process information management systems
- Previous and sustained instrumentation and control commissioning/site experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills and a proven record of mentoring and development of personnel are essential
- Ability to train, mentor and share / impart knowledge to both expatriate and national employees.
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency in French will be a strong asset
- Experience working in a remote location
The position offers a competitive remuneration package and is available on a Rotational (7/3 week) Contract for 24 months. Lodgings are modern and secure.
Please apply directly by submitting your resume, preferably as a Microsoft Word document